Together We Can Make a Difference

Current Focus: Gujarat Carnage: The Aftermath  
What is New
What You Can Do
Relief - Rehabilitation
News / Analysis
A Cry for Justice
Community Response
Corporate Social Responsibility
Site Map
home > Reports
Genocide in Rural Gujarat: The Experience of Dahod District

A report prepared by
Forum Against oppression of Women and Aawaaz-E-Niswaan
Bombay, June 2002

Printer Friendly Version - PDF 49 pages

Demands and recommendations

For copies contact

Table of Content

The pattern of destruction in Dahod District

Situation of camps


Violence against women

Compensation to the heirs of the `missing'

Fatehpura  (Taluka : Fatehpura)

Jhalod   (Taluka : Jhalod)

Limkheda   (Taluka : Limkheda)

Moti Bandibar village   (Taluka : Limkheda)

Piplod   (Taluka Baria)

Sanjeli   (Taluka: Jhalod)

Sukhsar   (Taluka: Fatehpura)

Santrampur   (Panchmahals District)

Demands and Recommendations

Moti Bandibar village (Taluka : Limkheda)

Incidents of violence in Moti Bandibar are similar to what happened in the rest of the Limkheda taluka. The population of the village is about 4000 out of which 260 are Muslims including about 45 Bohras.

Violence started around 6 pm on the 28th of February. The Sarpanch, with some other villagers came and told Muslims to leave their houses. They came to the basti near the police station. The Muslim villagers were assured police protection. About 150 people shifted to one Hindu house that offered protection. The others ran away to the jungle.

The Masjid was the first to be destroyed at 6 pm. All the fans, utensils were looted. The minarets and the Koran were burnt. The moulavi was burnt alive. Then the basti near the police station was completely looted and two houses were completely burnt. After the Muslim houses were completely burnt, even the house of the Hindu who offered protection was also burnt.

Police vehicles came to the village at about 4 am and picked up the 150 people hiding and dropped them in Limkheda. By about 7 am on Friday the 1st of March, they reached Dahod and then stayed on there in the relief camp that was subsequently set up.

The people who ran into the jungle also came to Dahod by about 3 pm on Friday. They came with the help of an auto rickshaw. There were twenty six people in the auto. The auto driver was also helping put off the fires in the burning houses. Out of the people who ran into the jungle, one person was hit on the neck and murdered by a sword. FIRs have been registered in both the death cases. For both the deaths the cash compensation of Rs. 40,000 has been received. The bonds for Rs. 60,000 have not been received yet.

The previous collector shifted the refugees back to Bandibar. Around 25 to 30 people are staying there now. Some have not gone because they are scared. People who have land and houses in Bandibar want to go back, but those who do coolie work do not want to go back.